Meatless Shepherd's Pie
- 2 lbs sweet potatoes, cooked and peeled
- 1 tbsp Canola oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 can (19 oz/540 ml) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 cup mild or medium salsa
- 1/4 cup light sour cream or yogurt
- 1/4 cup cilantro, finely chopped
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup green onion, thinly sliced or cilantro for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 C.
- Grease 8 cup (2 L) baking dish, or line with wet parchment paper.
- In large pan, pot, or Dutch oven heat oil over medium heat. Add onion, red pepper, garlic and cumin. Cook - stirring often - for 5 - 7 minutes. Stir in black beans, quinoa, corn and salsa. Remove from heat, and pour into prepared baking dish.
- Mash the sweet potatoes, and then stir in sour cream/yogurt and cilantro. Season with pepper if desired. Spoon over quinoa mixture and bake for 30 minutes, or until heated through and bubbly.
- Sprinkle top of casserole with green onion or cilantro to garnish.
Nutrient breakdown (1 1/2 cups) :
413 calories, 6 G total fat, 1 G saturated fat, 2 MG cholesterol, 75 G carbohydrates, 24 G sugars, 13 G fibre, 13 G protein, 544 MG sodium.