Energizing Protein Power Salad
Endlessly adaptable, this salad could work with many items in your pantry! You can experiment with this salad, changing in any veggies, nuts, or grains you desire. It makes a great packable lunch.
Yield: ~ 6 cups
- 1/2 cup uncooked spelt berries (or wheat berries)
- 1 cup Raw Buckwheat groats (or grain like quinoa)
- 3/4 cup uncooked Red Kidney beans (or other bean like chickpeas, black beans)
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 red onion (or other onion)
- 1 large yellow, orange, or red pepper (I used mix of yellow and red)
- 3/4 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup almonds, chopped
Dressing: (see note below)
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar (optional)
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4-1/2 tsp garlic powder, to taste
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes, to taste (less if you don’t like spicy foods!)
- 1/4-1/2 tsp ground cumin, to taste
- 1/2-3/4 tsp kosher salt, to taste (I used 3/4 tsp)
- freshly ground black pepper
- Cook your desired grains and beans according to package directions. You can cook everything the night before to save time. Place in large bowl while you prepare the rest of the recipe.
- In a large skillet, add 2 tsp of oil and your 2 cloves of minced garlic. Cook on low for a couple minutes being sure not to burn. Now add in the chopped onion and cook for another 6-8 minutes until translucent.
- Add in the chopped pepper, raisins, and almonds and cook for another 5 minutes on low-medium heat. Stir as needed. Meanwhile, prepare the dressing in a small bowl using a whisk to mix. Pour all the dressing into the skillet and stir well.
- Pour the veggies and dressing mixture into the bowl with the beans and grains. Stir well and serve. The flavour will develop nicely after about 1 hour, but it can be enjoyed immediately too.
Recipe from the Oh She Glows website